(Source: maisiewilliams, via batgroom)
totalitarian dystopian future lit is like “what if the government got so powerful that all the bad stuff that’s already happening ALSO HAPPENED TO WHITE PEOPLE?”
This post pretty much came about because I was asked if I had resources for Muslims who were discovering or newly coming to terms with their sexuality. I didn’t, and the poor advice I had to offer was … poor. So, I pulled up a few of the blogs I followed that are targeted towards queer Muslims, and put together this little post for you!
Queer Muslim Blogs:
- ComingOutMuslim (check out their project here: [x])
- InQueeries channel with Yusef Woof (contact email@example.com)
- Salaam Canada
Queer Muslim 101:
- A quick gender/sexuality 101
- PDF:Homosexuality In Islam, by Scott Siraj al-Haqq Kugle (Intro + 1st Chap) Buy your own copy!
- PDF:Muslim LGBT Inclusion Project, by Intersections International
- “I’m confused about my sexuality.”
- “I need proof from Qur’an and Sunnah that I’m not Haraam.”
- “What about the Qur’an and Hadith that chastise LGBT*Q Muslims?”
- “Islam and LGBT* are not mutually exclusive.”
- “But I was taught Islam was the most heterosexist religion.” [tw: continuously moving background at the link]
- “But all Muslims are homophobic!” (spoiler alert: you’re wrong.)
- “Love the sinner, hate the sin, and why that’s bullshit.”
- “Should I come out?” (spoiler alert: that’s up to you!)
- “Is there a place for LGBT*Q Muslims?”
- “Will LGBT*Q Muslims go to hell?” (spoiler alert: I’m not God, how would I know?)
- “But it’s unnatural!” (lolk)
- “There aren’t any gay Imams or Sheikhs, so you’re just making things up!” (Also here.)
- “But no fatwa was made!” (It’s Wahabi.)
- A post about other Sheikhs’ opinions.
- “But there are no inclusive mosques for LGBT* Muslims!” (Just stop.)
- There is no place for homophobia in Islam.
- Ayahs that talk about Prophet Lut.
- A closer reading of ayahs re: homosexuality.
- Homosexuality in Predominately Muslim Countries
- Same-sex marriage
- Queer Muslim Cinema: Azizah, Illuminations, Coming Out Muslim, A Jihad For Love, I Exist, Coming Out Muslim: Radical Acts of Love, Al-Nisa [BONUS: Show Al-Nisa and Red Summer (the producer) some love!], Out in the Dark (Palestinian and Israeli fall in love. facebook page).
- Queer Muslim Literature: [x]
A good thing to remember is to avoid the self-hatred phase, if you can. Focus on loving yourself, and realising that Allah made you just the way you are, and that you are loved. If this phase is unavoidable, here are some helpful sites:
- Help! I’m losing my Islam
- Feeling suicidal?
- Suicide prevention
- Supporting someone who self-harms
- Suicide and Crisis Hotlines
- Online Crisis Network (for those with anxiety which prevents them from talking on the phone)
If you are a student and would like to get Faisal Alam to speak at your uni, or to see if he is coming to your uni soon, click here.
If you would like to attend Faisal Alam’s 2013 Retreat for Queer Muslims and their partners, here is the facebook event, and here is more info. Register for the retreat here.
If you are from Indonesia, Pakistan, Bangladesh, or India and want to share your experiences (anonymously), please click here.
If you can spare some funds, help navigatethestream, a queer Muslim, become an Imam to help the Muslim LGBT* community!
Lastly, here is a link if you are NOT a queer Muslim, but want to be a good ALLY!
“potter stinks” omg i just
i care so much about draco’s dedication to passing on the message “potter stinks” to the world
draco sat in the slytherin common room or his dorm or w/e and put a significant amount of effort into making many, many pins that said, of all things, “potter stinks.” they were supposedly complex enough that they were difficult to change or w/e, as the creevey brothers just got them stuck on the potter stinks part (okay or the creevey brothers were just like 12 but w/e point 2 draco)
did he give them out in the corridors. on the grounds. did he make bud and croy do it. did he sell them. was he cackling and ranting about how much potter stinks the whole time he was making them. were people in the common room staring.
(Source: jmalfroy, via jackles-mckay)
:(((( pats yr head gently
i lov youuuu
hbbbbbb ive been feeling really lonely , and thus also clingy, the past couple of days. probably because i havent been getting out of the house enough. but : (
drinking game: look for queer readings of shakespeare and take a drink every time the book “shakesqueer” comes up. you win when you’re drunk enough to forget how little decent queer scholarship of shakespeare actually exists
bonus: take a drink every time you remember how shitty shakesqueer is in terms of scholarship and analysis about potentially queer characters/relationships in the canon.