casual reminder that Kanaya’s treatment of Vriska was the exact same thing as being a Troll Nice Guy
but what if she wasn’t trying to be a Nice Guy, she was legitimately hoping that maybe she could get Vriska to pay attention to her?
Which does sound very NG, but she’s the equivalent of 13, and I don’t think her motivation is “If I do this, then I deserve this.”
Also, I think this is a relatively, ahem, troll post because the poster calls Karkat a buttdangle and tavros a dickbutt.
I agree with you, Theo.
I can’t let this stupid ‘Kanaya is a Nice Guy!’ nonsense go past again without saying something about it. Part of the whole thing around being a Nice Guy is treating the sorts of people you are interested in as a monolith who all think and react the same, and that if you just insert enough/the right kind of Niceness Tokens you’ll get a relationship out of it.
Kanaya had a big stupid crush on someone who wasn’t reciprocating and who quite possibly didn’t even know (shockingly, 13 year olds aren’t famous for being able to use their words very well when it comes to relationships). She didn’t, however, act in any of the ways Nice Guys act like when their Niceness Tokens aren’t buying anything; she didn’t wheedle or cajole, she suffered in silence and kept being a moirail — quite possibility because feelings are messy and she might not have been entirely sure if she really was flushed for Vriska or not.
When Vriska asked her to make a dress, then tried to seduce a very reluctant Tavros while wearing it, Kanaya got upset. This is not unreasonable! It’s really upsetting to find out your crush has eyes for someone else entirely, even if the crush had no idea! From there, Kanaya did not wheedle, cajole, threaten, or whine, as is the MO for Nice Guys — she stopped talking to Vriska altogether. She was well within her rights to do so. Yes, it might have been more fair to Vriska for Kanaya to have used her words and told her what was up, but dropping all contact and distancing herself is exactly the opposite of what Nice Guys do.
I really do not understand why people get so obsessed with trying to make up DEEP DARK PERSONALITY FLAWS for every character.
God forbid thirteen year olds conduct themselves in a way that doesn’t conform to the highest possible standards of emotionally mature adulthood.
And speaking of emotionally mature adulthood, wow do I want to staple “she was well within her rights” to people’s heads sometimes. Kanaya isn’t entitled to Vriska’s flushed feelings, but Vriska isn’t entitled to her friendship, either. Sure, she could have handled the whole thing a little better, but she a) did not behave as though she was entitled to jack diddly, and b) did what was best for her own emotional well-being, which is more than a lot of actual adults manage.
[Snipped now-irrelevant picture.]
This times a million! All I can think is that a girl taking care of her emotions and not asking for permission beforehand goes so strongly against the human cultural tide that it’s like, gasp, shock, HOW DARE SHE.
And, you know, considering how this comic is chock full of young people not being clear about their feelings to themselves or anyone else, I find it really really weird that Kanaya is getting singled out as the ‘Troll Nice Guy’. Hello, we already have one, and he’s named Eridan?
It’s interesting to compare Kanaya and Eridan in their situations, as both were flushed towards their moirails, and both were subsequently rejected by said moirails.
When Feferi breaks up with Eridan, he says:
CA: and the only reason i put up with stickin my flipper in this fuckin shithole quadrant with you was
CC: Was what?
Eridan states basically he’s only in a moirallegiance with Fef in the first place to get into her red quadrant, which is - or at least feels - fairly analagous to the “Nice Guy” tactic of “if I’m your friend, then we’ll make out and date and you’ll sleep with me” sort of attitude. It’s using friendship as a means to an end.
Now, right after Kanaya sees Vriska kissing Tavros, she says in narration:
So THAT’S why she had you make this dress for her???
And you just went along with it like a sucker.
Argh, you are such an IDIOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And in Vriska and Kanaya’s first pesterlog together, at the very end Vriska says:
AG: Let you sne8k th8t stink8n’ littl8 ninja quip in th8r8. Ah! So m8d.
AG: Lousy st8pid godd8mn supportive fri8nd!
Indicating that, unlike Eridan, who clearly was exhausting to have a moirallegiance with and who, from their interactions, didn’t seem to be particularly supportive of Feferi, Kanaya seems to consistently be supportive of Vriska, enquiring about her well-being and making her dresses and generally being a standup chum.
When Eridan gets upset with Fef, it’s because he felt that he was owed a matespritship with Feferi, cause I’m your friend, right? Dang I spent all this time around you I inserted the correct amount of friendship tokens where’s my prize. When Kanaya gets upset with Vriska, it’s cause she just saw her kissing one of their other friends, in a dress that she made for Vriska on request. I’d cry too.
But, as far as I can recall, she doesn’t take it out on Vriska. She doesn’t feel she’s owed Vriska’s love.
its possible to be friends with someone (or moirails in the trolls case yes i realize the two aren’t directly comparable just roll with it) who you also have a crush on without being A Nice Guy.
250 Notes/ Hide
- trollsonas reblogged this from krankikankris
- cutey-lucy likes this
- krankikankris reblogged this from hompregstuck and added:
- krankikankris likes this
- dickprinceeridanampora likes this
- gaytiers likes this
- fluffymonkeyboa reblogged this from zilllywho
- zilllywho reblogged this from eridave
- eridave reblogged this from unpopular-hs-opinions
- hagakuresleftindexfinger reblogged this from hompregstuck
- tipsygrimdrunk likes this
- gallowsgirl likes this
- ampysand likes this
- balancedcheshire reblogged this from littletavvy
- brainsnare reblogged this from gaaraofsburbia
- lookarandomblogger likes this
- kagingtonknight likes this
- gaaraofsburbia reblogged this from littletavvy
- themightyhuntress likes this
- gaaraofsburbia likes this
- 2econdp2iioniic reblogged this from littletavvy and added:
- littletavvy reblogged this from gemiinii-twiin
- bsucs reblogged this from conciliatoryclaw
- steam-punkstuck reblogged this from tomigiru
- tomigiru reblogged this from surfsup-shinjikun and added:
- smutprincess likes this
- stitchpunk1 likes this
- that-one-fucking-bard likes this
- zacharycondom reblogged this from unpopular-hs-opinions and added:
- cactuskind likes this
- yourhsconfessionisstupid likes this
- aloadedspiralgalaxy likes this
- chairricade reblogged this from unpopular-hs-opinions
- penworthy likes this
- wendel likes this
- grapesfermented reblogged this from dingdongroombas and added:
- dingdongroombas reblogged this from rhaithe
- spainstateofmind reblogged this from caliborned
- caliborned reblogged this from frozenapplecider
- jacestratton likes this
- shaquille0neal likes this
- xainagal reblogged this from facepalmx2combo
- davebutts reblogged this from facepalmx2combo
- crowvon likes this
- peixesmeenah reblogged this from facepalmx2combo
- peixesmeenah likes this
- frozenapplecider reblogged this from facepalmx2combo
- frozenapplecider likes this
- facepalmx2combo reblogged this from unpopular-hs-opinions